Sunday, August 9, 2009



Today was a bitter sweet day while I hiked to the Emerald Pools in Zions. As I departed the shuttle bus that takes you up to the trailheads, an announcement came across the bus drivers radio that they were closing the Angels Landing Trail for a search and rescue operation. That hike is the one I hope to be able to do in a few weeks. It is one of the most dangerous hikes in the canyon and each year, someone falls from along that trail to their death. Today, a 55 year old woman from Los Angeles fell from the top...over 1000 feet. She was hiking with her husband and two adult children and had done the hike before. I happened to meet a woman who was right behind them on the trail and she saw the woman fall. She just mis-stepped and went over the edge. It does make me think more about hiking by myself, but usually Zions is busy enough that people would witness an accident. Anyway, my hike was fabulous to the pools. It was only 67 degrees in the park when I arrived at 8:30 a.m. in fact, it was a little cold! As soon as I crossed the bridge going over the Virgin River the sun came out and hit me and it was a perfect day after that. The hike is about 3 miles and it took about 2-hours. Although the waterfalls were small, the mist spraying off of them looked so beautiful in the sunlight. There were Monarch butterflies, hummingbirds and plenty of chipmunks along the trail.

When I go to the Park I usually find myself a minority as it seems most of the visitors there are French, German or Asian. Mostly French and German. They are also so polite and say such nice things about MY park! They are also so amazed to find out that I live so close. It really makes me appreciate where I live even more.

As I walked to the Upper Pool I really started to sweat so out came the red headband to keep the sweat from my eyes. As I drove down the canyon after the hike it was about 83 degrees. I rolled down all four windows in my Altima, turned the radio up REALLY LOUD and cruised down the canyon towards home listening to Creedence on the radio. I was home by noon! What a great way to spend a Sunday morning.

The rest of my day I did tons of ironing, printed pictures of Stella to take to my Dad in Salt Lake this coming weekend and enjoyed some Pork Roast I put in the crockpot before I left. Now that I'm moving in September, I am trying to eat up everything in the refrigerator and cupboards so I don't have to move them! I was doing a lot of computer work as well today so I watched the Hitchcock movie "Notorious" while I was clicking on the keys. That is such a classic movie!

The hummingbirds just flew up to my window and were looking in at me. I am really going to miss them! Today, there were 5 hummers out there at once! I guess our little homesteaders told their friends about my great sugar treat. In addition, the canaries think it's for them. As I was leaving for my hike this morning a HUGE black raven landed on the roof of the house next door and watching all the activity in the yard. I certainly hope that Ravens don't eat hummingbirds!

Cort and Michelle went to Ron and Kathy's house Friday night to work on the sprinkler system and landscaping that Ron needs done. They were there pretty late, but got alot done and got to eat dinner there. Kathy always makes such good food!

Henrik is back in Denmark, picking up where he left off taking care of his gardens and enjoying BBQ with his neighbors. He took some Carne Asada home with him, Yes, in his suitcase wrapped in newspaper...to share with his friends. He sent me a picture of it cooking on the grill...

Enjoy the pictures of Zions...every time I am there enjoying a hike, I always wish I was sharing the experience with some of my friends. What are you waiting for??