Thursday, January 24, 2008

Another Scare...

Last night while Jason and Tawni were visiting Stella, they were told that they think Stella may have an infection. They encouraged them to go ahead and do the skin to skin time that they have come to enjoy so much. While Stella was laying with Tawni, she began to turn purple and all of the monitors starting going off. Evidently, her breathing had stopped. They gave her emergency treatment including oxygen and brought her around. They told Jason and Tawni that they sometimes see this in newborns and with preemies. Jason told me how horrifying and helpless he felt watching all of her monitors numbers drop to almost zero. They were afraid to leave her but also knew that just sitting watching the monitors every second was only adding to their anxiety. The hospital staff assured them that she was breathing okay again and that they were watching her very closely so the kids went home to get some rest. When Jason spoke to the head nurse this morning they said Stella had several similar incidents during the night but that she had pulled herself out of them. They confirmed that she does have at least one, possibly two infections but that those are common in infants this small. So, another reality check for us I guess. So far, she has had such incredible will...I just know she will keep fighting!

Today, January 24th is Jason's birthday. We are celebrating it on Sunday at my place where we will enjoy their favorite Grandma Smith ham and cheesy potatoes. Tawni's family will all be here as well.

I hope to hear more this evening about how she is doing and will be certain to post the update for all to read. I still haven't seen Stella since last Saturday due to my cold. I went to the Doc today and found out I have Bronchitis of all things. I told them about Stella and how badly I need to get better to be able to see and touch her little head and fingers again. They stepped right up with an assortment of antibiotics and cough medicine that should do the trick!

Hugs to all...