Sunday, June 8, 2008

Best Friends and Family

What a great week! We're still getting settled but found time for fun. Jason and Stella came over Saturday night while Tawni was busy with a Youth Conference activity at church. It was so awesome just hanging out with them. We hung out watching television and played with Stella. You can see in these pictures her new fascination with sucking her fingers. She smiles all the time now. Around 8:00 pm Jason and I took Brody the dog and Stella out for a walk around the neighborhood. It was an excellent night!







Today my friend Jean Thomasson, the manager of the Kay Jewelers store in the mall went with me to Best Friends to volunteer. We arrived in Kanab around 9:00 a.m. and immediately went to Dogtown to sign up for walking dogs. We walked 6 dogs; Charlie Brown, Kira, Prunella, Molly, Del Monty and Trap. It was a spectacular weather day, tons of sunshine, nice breeze and 85 degrees. After walking the dogs we went to the Clubhouse Octogon to see some of the Michael Vick dogs. They are doing great! Some of them are even wearing green collars which mean they are almost ready to be worked with by volunteers! Best Friends has does excellent work with these dogs and I can't wait until I have a chance to help them as well. After finishing our work at Dogtown we drove around the rest of the sanctuary so Jean could see how amazingly large it is. We went to Cat Headquarters and socialized with several of the cats then went down to Pottbellied Pig Way and checked in on them. Brittany, a very old PPP who has special priveledges sleeps in the office there. They are next to the big horse pastures and also near the main center. We finished our tour by going to Angel Rest and checking in on Madison. Everthing is just how I left it when I was there in March, but someone has added an extra polished stone to her collection. Odd, huh?

We decided to come home through Zions Park which is always a treat. We stopped in Springdale to eat at Oscars of course. I wished I didn't like Oscars so much...it keeps me from trying any of the other great eateries in town. I of course had my favorite Garlic Burger...The Murder Burger with a house salad with Lime-Chipotle Vinegarette Dressing. Ummm, Good! We sat on the outside deck and once again the weather was delightful. After lunch we enjoyed a walk along the streets in Springdale visiting the galleries. It's a great little place.

Now I'm back home getting ready for a busy week. I work every day and night this week up to and including Saturday with the exception of Wednesday night. That night a group of friends and I are getting together for dinner at a wonderful restaurant called the Painted Pony. My friend Treena Garrisson spends every summer in Maine at their cottage. She is leaving on the 21st of June so we are all getting together to see her off. She was one of the first people I met here in St. George. How amazing is it that she's from Maine!

Have a good week everyone!
Love Ya