Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My visit to Happy Valley

Its lunch time here in Provo at the conference I'm attending so I thought I would send you all an update. There's SNOW up here! I will admit it is pretty, but dang it cold! My conference is on a Project Management software package that is very detailed and complex so I've been grateful for some extra-curricular activities while I've been here.

I'm actually staying at the Marriott at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi. I can't believe how much everything has changed since I moved away to Maine. Jody and Kevin picked me up at the hotel and we went to dinner at Applebees in Lehi/American Fork. I gave Jody an early birthday present just because I couldn't wait until February! Jody LOVES anything to do with the Wizard of Oz and she has an extensive collection of items related to the movie. She holds me responsible for this mass collection because I gave her the first piece over 20 years ago; a plate for her wall with Dorothy and Toto on it. Now, she practically has a room dedicated to everything Oz! Anyway, I came across the cutest door stop that is the Wicked Witch of The West with the Ruby Slippers on...but its just her black and white stripped stockings and the ruby red shoes. When you put it up against the door, it looks like her feet are sticking out under it. Jody loved it of course! Last night Allen, another friend had me over to his place for dinner. He lives up near the University of Utah, actually it's almost on the campus, right across from Kingsbury Hall and the Rice Eccles Football stadium. The lights of Salt Lake were so beautiful and it was nice to be able to see them again from that vantage point. When I visit the Salt Lake area, I am so conflicted...there are so many memories from childhood to adulthood here, and at times free flowing tears and sadness as I drive around. But, I am making new friends, having new experiences and always enjoying the love and support of my friends and family who are ALWAYS here for me.

The conference will end today and I have a 4-hour drive back to St. George tonight. The drive is a little dangerous as the deer are migrating right now and the interstate goes directly through the migration areas. It's a little stressful, especially in the dark, but I'm sure I will get home safely.

Patrick will be here in 3-days...whoo-hoo. He offered to bring Lobster, we will see! I doubt I'll be posting again before he arrives, so staytuned for fun pics of his visit.

Love to you all,
G